Friday, October 8, 2010

I Gots the ADDs

I have to admit it, I've got gamer ADD.  I love our campaign, but my mind is going too fast for the sessions to keep up!  To add to the pain, we had to skip our session this week due to some totally understandable work issues.  My problem is that I really like to write the story settings and can't wait to see what the players do and how the story plays out.  When we don't play I just keep writing new stuff, which is fun, but it's a bit like getting a lot of delicious ingredients together for a recipe and then just staring at them.  I want to get to the cooking and feasting! 

So in the absence of play, I've:
Read TMNT and Other Strangeness again,
Perused Call of Cthulhu,
Read through a bunch of old D&D modules and tried to plan their use,
Written up several towns, caves, starships, and other locations on the campaign map,
etc., etc.

TMNT kicks mutated ass.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I often get this problem too. And the greater amount of time I spend thinking about a setting tends to make me burnout on it quicker than the players, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard several seasoned DMs say lately that overplanning is a very real problem. I think I can see why. I'm thinking the solution might be to use that extra time to read more (literature). That fills up the creative stores and plants things in your mind that will come out later during play.

    ReplyDelete